Common Signs of Roaches in NYC
Noticing bugs crawling around your home or business is a sure sign of an infestation. But waiting until you see actual insects does not work when it comes to cockroach control. Roaches are great at hiding, preferring to live in dark areas and small gaps where people rarely go. They are nocturnal and come out at night to find food.
Spotting a cockroach in the daylight generally only happens when the infestation is large enough that food has become scarce. This means that by the time you see one cockroach, you already have a significant problem. Instead, you should be aware of the other signs of a roach infestation that can help you intervene early if you suspect you may have roaches.
Indications that You Might Have a Cockroach Infestation
A growing cockroach infestation will leave behind a number of signs. These may be subtle and confined to smaller areas at first, but they will eventually become more apparent. Knowing what you are looking for can help you understand the signs you are seeing:
- Shed Skins – As they grow, cockroaches shed their skin. Their shed skins look similar to live roaches, and will build up where there is an infestation.
- Egg Sacks – Roaches lay their eggs in capsules containing up to 30 baby cockroaches. An egg capsule is ¼ inch to ½ inch long depending on the species, and tan to brown in color.
- Droppings – Roach droppings have an appearance similar to pepper or coffee grounds. The droppings are tiny and measure less than 1mm wide.
- Smear Marks – Roaches secrete an oil from their skins that they leave behind on surfaces. These show up as dark markings, usually on walls or floors around where cockroaches congregate.
- Indoor Allergies – An enzyme roaches produce is an allergen for many people, causing congestion, throat irritation, itchy eyes, rashes, and asthma attacks.
- Musty Odors – The droppings cockroaches leave behind contain pheromones. They use these to attract other roaches, but they can also cause your home to smell damp and musty, much like a smell you would associate with mold.
If you have spotted these signs in your home in NYC, a cockroach control company can confirm whether or not you have roaches and begin treatment. If you have already seen a roach, expect that you have an infestation.
In either case, 24 Hour Pest Control NYC provides the most effective treatments for roaches in NYC. Our expert team can locate roaches in the most secure hiding spots and we use methods that work against aggressive and resistant infestations. Call us to identify the signs of cockroaches on your property today.