Rodents are one of the more common and more troublesome pests in NYC. But you won’t always see a rodent after it moves in.
Rats and mice are generally nocturnal, so most of their activity will happen after you are asleep. Rats, especially, are cautious and skilled at hiding, and will disappear as soon as they hear you coming. Many mice and rats also live in less frequently visited parts of a home like the attic or basement. This makes it worthwhile to know the signs of rodent infestations, making it possible that you can identify a problem early on.
How to Tell If You Have Mice or Rats
Since you may not see a mouse or rat, it becomes important to pay attention to early warning signs that your home may have mice or rats. Some of these include:
- Scratching or Rustling – As rodents wake up in the evening and are active throughout the night, you may hear the sound of their claws scratching as they move about or their chewing coming from behind walls, above ceilings, or inside cabinets.
- Droppings – Rodents leave behind droppings as they move throughout your home and in the areas they nest. These are small pellets usually about ½ inch long or less.
- Black Stains on Walls – Rats and mice secrete an oil that coats their hair. As they rub against surfaces, this oil is left behind and can result in dirt stains on walls or around the openings the rodents pass through.
- Chew Marks – Rodents are ferocious chewers and will gnaw on almost anything. Wood, plastic, walls, and furniture may all have teeth marks if rodents are nearby.
- Flickering Lights – Mice like to chew on wires. In advanced cases, this can cause electrical damage that may show up as flickering lights, malfunctioning appliances, and fires.
Since rats and mice infestations become a larger issue the longer they are left alone, any of these signs should prompt you to confirm the presence of rodents either on your own or with a professional rodent control company.
Professional Rodent Control
Our team at 24 Hour Pest Control NYC is familiar with all of the signs of rodents. We know how the different types of mice and rats in New York and New Jersey leave various indications of their presence and where we should look for them, enabling us to find rodents as soon as possible.
With monthly pest control services, we are there to stop rodents before they can become a problem. Call us if you suspect rodents in your home.