How to Prevent Cockroaches in NYC
Pest control is often something people look into once they have seen bugs in their home. But this is not an approach that works well with cockroaches in NYC. Roaches are highly adaptable, difficult to get rid of, and responsible for a range of health concerns when they are inside homes.
Preventing roaches can keep you from dealing with the various challenges they cause, and is often easier, faster, and more affordable than waiting to exterminate an infestation later on. You can do most roach prevention with DIY methods that will effectively deter roaches.
Roach Prevention Tips for Your Home
Cockroaches are drawn to properties where they can find food, water, and shelter. Removing those items from your home will reduce the chance that roaches come into your home and start an infestation, but that is not always enough. Roaches are resourceful, and will find food and water in places you may not expect. This is why it is also helpful to set up a physical barrier against roaches as well.
For complete cockroach prevention around your home, follow each of these steps:
- Start with a deep clean of your home to remove any clutter or food crumbs.
- Wash dishes and wipe down food prep surfaces each night.
- Sweep kitchen floors as often as possible, and mop and vacuum regularly.
- Take out trash frequently, and never leave trash in halls.
- Use airtight containers for storing food.
- Don’t leave pet food and water bowls out overnight.
- Clean up standing water.
- Repair any leaking faucets and pipes.
- Use a dehumidifier in bathrooms and humid rooms.
- Caulk or cover cracks around your home to physically prevent roaches from entering.
Some steps, such as finding and sealing cracks and gaps, maybe more than the average homeowner is able to do, and Items that are attracting roaches or small entry points also may not be apparent if you have not had extensive experience with roaches before.
That is where 24 Hour Pest Control NYC can help. Whether you need assistance determining how cockroaches are getting in or want to apply a protective barrier around the exterior of your home that keeps roaches from crossing it, we can provide lasting and effective roach prevention. And if you already have an infestation, we can get rid of roaches fast. Contact us today to get started.